Two years ago, the Sudanese revolutionaries were disillusioned. On June 3, 2019, the peaceful sit-in they had been holding in front of the army headquarters for two months, where citizens from all over the country demanded the handing over of power to civilians after thirty years of Islamic-military dictatorship, was scattered in blood. At least 127 protesters lost their lives. Dozens more are missing. While some survivors have been raped or mutilated. Many despair of obtaining justice.
→ ANALYSIS. In Sudan, two years after the revolution, the army slows down the transition
“The people who committed this massacre are now running the country”, denounces Amira Babiker Kabous, in reference to the soldiers and militiamen of the Rapid Support Forces (FSR) who have been co-chairing the state with civilians since August 2019. This 50-year-old wears a sky blue hijab. It was the favorite color of his son, Mohamed Mattar, who died on June 3, 2019, the day after his 26th birthday.e anniversary. Internet users from all over the world had then imitated the student’s friends, and changed their profile picture to a blue monochrome, which had become a symbol of solidarity with the Sudanese.
“Explanations and condemnations”
Together, Amira Babiker Kabous, vice-president of the Association of Families of Martyrs, and President Farah Abbas reunited 270 families of victims killed since the start of the uprising in December 2018 that led to the ousting of dictator Omar al-Bashir, then during the dismantling of the sit-in and in the following days. “We do not want financial compensation but explanations and condemnations”, summarizes the vice-president.
Tired of waiting for the results of the official investigation, constantly postponed, the bereaved parents contacted the International Criminal Court (ICC). “His lawyers are ready to take over if the Sudanese government fails to deliver justice”, warns Mudather Mohammed, a lawyer who advises these families.
For his part, Nabil Adib, the lawyer at the head of the investigation committee, ensures to prepare ” a very solid case for the prosecution ” who will aim “A group of officials”. 3,500 witnesses were heard, as well as numbers one and two of the Sovereign Council, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and Muhammad Hamdan Daglo, respectively heads of the Transitional Military Council and of the FSR at the time of the massacre.
Conclusions that could “lead to a coup”
Nabil Adib is now awaiting the arrival of foreign experts to impartially autopsy the bodies, resting among other things in a mass grave discovered near the capital in November. He will then make his conclusions which could, he said, “Lead to a coup or to mass unrest in the streets”.
Her committee also received some of the many women raped on June 3, 2019. “The current government leaders are responsible for what happened to me and what happened to others, believes one of them, whose attackers wore the uniform of the FSR. We must unite our efforts so that the ICC takes charge of the investigation (…) in order to prevent such acts from happening again. “
Violence by security forces continues
Amani Jalal al Deen, 22, lost her right eye on January 27, 2019, during one of the revolutionary marches. She does not trust the Sudanese justice any more. “How could the policeman who targeted me with a tear gas can be arrested while those who murdered my fellow citizens are still at large? “, she says.
An FSR officer was sentenced to death at the end of May for having run over a young man during the demonstrations which followed the dispersal of the sit-in. But most individual complaints remain pending. And violence from the security forces continues. On May 11, the rally commemorating the victims of June 3, as these two dates corresponded to the 29th day of Ramadan, was put down with live ammunition. Two men were killed.