Elon Musk has filed a countersuit against Twitter, escalating his legal battle against the social media company over its attempt to stop the $44 billion purchase.
The 164-page document was not available, although under court rules a revised version could be made public soon.
A judge in the US state of Delaware said that the trial will begin on October 17 and last for five days to consider Twitter’s attempt to keep Elon Musk on his deal.
The Tesla CEO and SpaceX CEO said he withdrew from the deal on July 8 and blamed Twitter for breaching the merger agreement by misrepresenting the number of fake accounts on its platform.
Twitter filed a lawsuit days later, calling the claims of the fake accounts a distraction and saying that Musk was bound by the merger contract to close the deal at $54.20 per share.
Delaware District Judge Kathleen McCormick swiftly referred the case to trial last week, saying she wanted to limit potential damage to Twitter caused by the ambiguity over the deal.
Twitter has blamed the court battle for plunging revenue and causing chaos within the company.
The two sides basically agreed to hold a trial on October 17, but differ over the limits of what is disclosed or access to internal documents and other evidence.
Musk accused Twitter of reluctance to respond to his requests for data, and Twitter accused him of seeking to obtain a large amount of data unrelated to the main issue in the case, which is whether Musk violated the contract.